Tuesday 25 June 2013

The once soothing sound of rain is a subtle reminder how life can change



The sound of rain has always soothed my soul. I think of those summer nights when I was a kid at our family cabin in beautiful downtown Meota, Sask. Cabin, perhaps, is overstating the situation: it was a two-bedroom hose built in 1911 with a very thin roof on the bedroom. Hearing raindrops late at night before was a wonderful way to fall asleep.

But as we make our way through life, experiences change the way we see things, and how we hear things. The window in my den is open and it’s after 3 p.m. For the majority of the day I have been listening to the steady stream of raindrops landing outside. My first thoughts were how relaxing it is. But then I thought of our friends in southern Alberta and how heavy rains turned into floods — which turned into states of emergencies for many communities.

I think of so many people who lost everything. I think of the journey so many must face now to start over. I think of how many people will have to put their lives on hold for, maybe, months to get back to some type of normal. I think of the thousands of generous folks who continue to help in so many ways.


The soothing sound of rain I once loved so much now reminds me life can change in a second … and how we can’t take anything for granted.



No comments: